Sunday 21 July 2013

Day 6 - It gets better

It definitely gets better!

Yesterday I left the house for the first time since coming home from hospital, Tom and I took the dogs for a walk in the woods at 8pm so it was quiet and I didn't feel self-conscious.



 This was the first time I felt I looked normal, I'm still all lumpy, bruised and swollen but I have some definition to my jaw unlike all the previous days. 


Today I managed to brush all of my teeth properly- it was pretty gross! 

But I also found my stitches! They run along side my gums to the back of my mouth, and my right side has started to bleed a little- probably just due to the movement I can do now.



My jaw keeps locking- as it has done post-op, but until today I'd left it along as I'm scared I'll do some damage, but I'd had enough of the stiffness so I just cracked it.

Omg

The relief of being able to open my mouth a little wider was amazing. 


How I'm doing!

Pain

Pain in one way is at it's lowest today, as I slept right through until 11am, as opposed to waking to have my next pain killers at 6am as I have been doing. My stitches are throbbing today, and it kinda stings when I use my antiseptic mouthwash. despite this, I've only had two co-codamols and no ibuprofen inbetween, so it must be getting better.

Food!

I've eaten the most as of yet,
-half a slimfast shake
-1/3 wheatabix
-cups of tea
-soft bits of bread with houmus + soup
-and kind of a roast dinner with my family, which was mash potatoes, gravy, and cauliflower cheese 


I weighed myself and I've actually lost 11lbs since last sunday! Nice little bonus, I'll try and keep it up!

I have 2 appointments coming up, one next Wednesday, 24th July at the hospital I had my surgery at for a check up. Then on Friday 26th July at the manor- where I've been having my ortho work done.

Hopefully I can open my mouth wide enough for them to see in by then!

Right, Tom went home today so I'm gonna have an early night.

See you later!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Your swelling has come down quite a bit! You look great! That's awesome you were able to go hiking. I went for a walk around the block today.... I was super self conscious. My yellow and purple face. EEK. I am so jealous that you are eating "real" foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (late reply I know - I try to reply to all comments eventually! lol)

      I know exactly what you mean - the day after these photos I had to accompany Tom to the train station to say bye and I felt safe and secure whilst he was here, but then as I waved bye and went to leave, I felt very vulnerable and like everyone was looking at me - I wanted to shout to everyone 'I'VE JUST HAD JAW SURGERY'!!

      Delete